Author Topic: Princess Century 100-A versions #2  (Read 111 times)

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Princess Century 100-A versions #2
« on: August 03, 2021, 11:49:32 AM »
This collecting thing never ends!!! I now have/had (minus one) 4 variations of the front cover Princess name displayed 100-A reel. The first is with the Princess name simply stamped on the front cover. The second variation is when Johnson started painting the name on the front cover rather than stamping. And the original painted variation letter size was the same as the original stamped letter size. It is the middle reel in the first pic. I sold it since it appeared someone had taken the front cover and side plates and put them on a regular Century. But it does show the second variation front cover. Then   Johnson next increased the size of the painted letters keeping the location pretty much in the same location as the previous stamped and small painted letter variations. Finally I think the last variation was moving the painted name to fit between the slots as shown in the 2nd pic, right reel. Until I find another variation, I think they then moved to the 100AP and finally the 100BP. Another quirk I think is while I know the papers that came with a 100AP identified it as such and I assume the same with the 100BP (although I don't have 100BP papers), I have never seen a Princess box with a model number on it other than "100-A". Don't know if they ever made a 100AP or 100BP designated box.

GaryWB

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
  • Johnson reels and NOS parts
    • View Profile
Re: Princess Century 100-A versions #2
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 04:28:45 PM »
Keeps you out of trouble and out of the pool hall Chuck

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 05:10:10 PM »
Gary, yup! And having an occasional beer on my patio at my age is better anyway!! Only slightly disruptive!!

TIMMY

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 03:37:28 AM »
i still after years of collecting have never picked up a single princess reel. don't know why. i have also never made any attempt to pick up a fiskar either. but maybe one of these days. it amazes me what we keep finding out about johnson reels....

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 04:30:27 AM »
Timmy, I actually got interested in pink reels because one of my Granddaughters asked why I didn't have anything in that color when I first started collecting. Looking on the site, I didn't see much about the Princess reels so decided to explore and add. It still probably needs to be updated because the initial 100-A Princess is a different reel than the 100AP and 100BP ones. And the more I dug, the more interesting to me was the way Johnson tried to get these to market as quick as they could.

Baron2

• Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 04:35:16 AM »
Very nice Chuck. I find it awesome to be present when you guys discuss the years and nuances of these. I'm just a simple bluegill fisherman, never collected anything, except dust. Watching these posts is like watching a History Channel short-release special. Thanks
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 04:51:17 AM by Baron2 »
Baron2

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal