Author Topic: Model 22 Versions And Parts Pictures  (Read 678 times)

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Model 22 Versions And Parts Pictures
« on: January 20, 2018, 09:41:58 AM »
Here are some pictures of two versions of the Sidewinder Model 22 along with pictures of its parts. I am not sure of the significance of the silver main frame and cover version 22 compared to the black framed 22 version. Johnson marketed the Model 22 at the same time as the Model 80 and Model 44. You can see that in the Model 22 owner’s manual posted on the owner manual board (http://www.johnsonreels-online.org/index.php/topic,498.0.html) which also contains the Model 22 parts schematic. Compared to the model 80 and even the model 44 for example, this reel is very simplistic. It has no gearing and acts to me more like a fly fishing reel rather than a spin casting reel. It makes me wonder if this was Johnson’s first attempt and move towards making and marketing actual fly fishing reels which we know they eventually did.

TIMMY

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Model 22 Versions And Parts Pictures
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 08:21:02 AM »
I find it strange that johnson marketed this reel when they did. it's more like the 10 A and 20 models with it's direct drive minus a drag feature. it's crank handle like that on the humphreys reel.the 22 really is based on the same principle as the humphreys reel, but, it has johnson's greatly improved bail/ retrieve mechanism. i guess i don't see the comparison to a fly reel that works in a much different way. though this reel certainly could be used in that capacity. I have known some people who just don't like drag, they just want to hoss anything they catch out of the water. that is what  i think the 22 is aimed at.  i suspect you could use some pretty heavy test line on one of these. maybe i will try putting some 25 or 30 lbs test on just to see how well it can cast heavy line. that said not sure i would want to try to haul a 10 + pound cat out of the water with this thing. i'm certain it's capable mounted to the proper rod. however , it would be a long slow battle given these reels rate of retrieve !  we know they gave up on this design all together not long after these came out. I think that is a shame. I still believe that with proper engineering, a sidewinder spin cast could be developed that would be superior to any forward facing spin cast. I think Lloyd Johnson also suspected this. but, he had to follow the market forces, and those market forces wanted a forward facing spin casting reel. i'm not an engineer. but i have an idea in my head of how to build the sidewinder reel i want to see. maybe one of these days i will get to work on designing it..  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal