Author Topic: Model 44 versions and parts pictures  (Read 1021 times)

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Model 44 versions and parts pictures
« on: January 20, 2018, 09:07:45 AM »
Here are some pictures of two versions of the Sidewinder Model 44 along with pictures of its parts as well as pictures of a comparison to the Model 80. I am not sure of the significance of the silver main frame version 44 compared to the black framed 44 version. Johnson marketed the Model 44 at the same time as the Model 80 and Model 22. You can see that in the Model 44 owner’s manual posted on the owner manual board (http://www.johnsonreels-online.org/index.php/topic,496.0.html) which also contains the Model 44 parts schematic. The only functional difference between the 80 and 44 is the 80 has a drag function and the 44 does not.  I am guessing that maybe they wanted a little cheaper version of the 80 by selling the 44 and maybe an even cheaper version in the Model 22 (which to me acts more like a fly fishing reel). You can see in the pictures at the end comparing the gearing between the 80 and 44 that the 44 has an extended sleeve coming up along the crank shaft that does not allow the star knob used on an 88 to be inserted. And the 80 has a few more brass washers enabling  the drag function. Parts wise the Model 44 is pretty simple and works very well. If you take a Model 44 apart, I learned that the clicker needs to be in the off position to get the gear cover off. Also note that when putting the line spool back in the frame, make sure the hole in the spool is positioned over the nipple in the main frame.

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Model 44 versions and parts pictures
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 06:39:46 PM »
Great info and pix on these two rare sidewinders, Chuck!

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 07:04:31 PM »
Thanks Skip. Do you have any idea why they went with the silver frame? An anniversary or something?

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 08:58:48 PM »
I honestly don't, Chuck.  My catalog/parts lists/schematics collection has very limited info on the sidewinders.  I know most of 'em had green front covers, except the one version of the 22.  May have been a cost-saving measure to not anodize.  Depending on model # and year, main body color could have been silver, black or green.  My model 80 is all green.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal