Author Topic: Model 22 & 44  (Read 102 times)

AL

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
  • Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
    • View Profile
Model 22 & 44
« on: January 19, 2018, 05:49:32 PM »
Looking at the exploded views and parts list, I note the following differences:
Model 22 looks like a very simple direct-drive reel with no gears or drive train.  The parts list describes a "drive shaft and thumbing disc", which I interpret use as a drag.
Model 44 has a raised cover over a gear drive, push-button line release and a crank handle.
I see an introduction date of 1954, have no info on length of production.  Since Century 100 was introduced the following year, I'd think it was surely in the design stage when these reels were made.  The Sidewinder 60 (1952) and 80 (1953) were actually more sophisticated designs, I wonder if 22 & 44 might have been an effort to use up remaining Sidewinder parts before Century launch.Posted for Skip Smith.

TIMMY

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Model 22 & 44
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 06:15:02 AM »
I don't currently have either a 22 or a 44. but i was thinking about what you said above and you could be correct about Johnson wanting to use up large amounts of parts by coming up with these to odd ball models. the 44 is  based on the model 80 in my opinion while the 22 seems to have taken a page from the humphreys reel with that large size crank. i need to get busy obtaining the rest of these sidewinders and study them a little more in depth. i still need to pick up a 40 and a 40A as well as the 22 and 44 to complete my johnson sidewinder collection.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal