Author Topic: Commander 150A Versions  (Read 475 times)

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Commander 150A Versions
« on: January 04, 2018, 12:58:46 PM »
I happen to have what appear to be two unused new in the box Commander 150A reels which are different versions I discovered after comparing them. The left one has drain holes and chrome on the front cover while the right version is painted with no chrome and has no drain holes. The one on the left on the side plate has a chrome screw holding the push button in place and the right one has a long black rivet holding it. The left one has a faint yellow tint to the bullseye decal (the 150 has a yellow bullseye) while the right one has an all white bullseye which is also located slightly higher up on the push button. Even the boxes they came in are different (left box blueish color is from the green fading I would guess from sunlight). Purely a guess but I think the right one is the last year version made in 1976. It is hard to tell from the catalogs but in the 1976 catalog, the fish line tag on the reel matches the fish line tag profile on the same page as the Commander 150A. I am guessing the subtle changes cheapened up the cost of manufacture of the reel a bit before it was discontinued the following year but as I said, purely a guess.

Huckster37

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Commander 150A Versions
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 01:06:14 PM »
That's one thing we know for sure about Johnson, they kept changing their products year to year.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 01:21:18 PM by Huckster37 »

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 08:30:22 PM »
I have a Johnson reel that has a typical Commander front cover with the plated opening surround and internal works, but a back cover from what appears to be a Force 315 with a side sticker that says "Johnson" in a cursive script.  Go figger.  I wonder if it's a late production model using parts from two different models?

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 08:42:07 PM »
I certainly don't know Skip but it sounds like a cool reel! I like those one off reels that makes you wonder!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal