Poll

Should we allow non-contributors to register an take info from us without posting or adding value

require a number of posts to see certain boards
1 (50%)
delete them if they don't post at least an intro
0 (0%)
restrict some boards to a required number of posts
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: January 16, 2018, 07:25:53 PM

Author Topic: Poll on site usage/information abuse  (Read 569 times)

AL

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
  • Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
    • View Profile
Poll on site usage/information abuse
« on: January 01, 2018, 06:58:12 PM »
We have  almost 180 registered members and only 46 have contributed by posting any subject matter that adds to the knowledge base that has made this site successful.
What is/are the thoughts on the non-participating "takers"  that do not contribute

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Poll on site usage/information abuse
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 06:52:23 AM »
I guess my thoughts are that this site is a very informative place to learn about Johnson and their fishing reels. And it is available for all interested in Johnson reels to see certain information. If you want to see additional info the site contains, then you need to join and become a member which is good. And I am very thankful for those that post and share information for members to see. When I discovered this site a couple of years ago, I was thrilled by what it contained and what I could learn. So I am happy to share what ever I can hoping that it adds to the knowledge base. However, I am sure many people do not like to post for whatever their reason. They are unsure how to do so, don't feel comfortable sharing their thoughts, don't have equipment to take pictures, or whatever. Because this is a very good informational site, I would hate to see it exclude that information shared to members who elect for whatever reason not to post. I like that non members are limited in what they can see. I guess I am unclear as to what information has been abused or what that means. So for me, I am OK with how it works at present and wouldn't place posting burdens on members who elect not to post or remove one from being a member for not posting. And if you require a certain number of posts from a member, are you going to police what they post to determine if it is adding to the knowledge base? So those are just my thoughts. I am a happy user of this site and can't express my thanks enough to people like Al, or Dennis, or Skip for example who have helped me learn from their knowledge about these great Johnson reels. Chuck

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 08:06:04 PM »
I'm okay with the existing format and access.  As a senior citizen and retired blue-collar worker, I don't have much computer aptitude, so I don't contribute as much as other members do.  That said, I do hope to hone my electronic skills and my contributions in 2018.  Got a couple of blogs in me.

Rev Dan

• Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 12:08:56 PM »
I am relatively new to the site and signed on to learn about the history of Johnson reels and to gather information about maintenance. I also would like to hear others tell stories about fishing with their Johnson reels. I sometimes do outings using only my vintage Johnson reels.

Dan

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 06:11:23 PM »
I have about 10 reels that were made in this millennium.  The rest of 'em were made 1960-1995.  Mostly Johnson, with a few Zebcos, Abumatics, and Heddons.

Fossil

• Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 02:19:40 PM »
   I'm not the greatest when it comes to adding content as a new member. After visiting for awhile it seems like it's easier. I am planning to add photos and content this summer when we catch fish and I gain a little experience with these reels.
  Since taking an interest and finding this site I've come to appreciate the content here and it has been a help. It would be a shame if we closed the doors to those that haven't contributed yet.
Thanks to all those that have posted here.

Baron2

• Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 05:12:19 PM »
 :)I think some of them don't contribute for fear that if they ask something I'd never shut up. ;D

Seriously I have too few hours left in life. I have questions, you have answers. I'd be a fool to join and not spit it out. My Mom used to say "Chew nails and spit rust". While I'm not sure what she meant, she did say it. And now you all know she said it as well. Aren't we an enlightened group?
Baron2

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal