Author Topic: Johnson Century II 101  (Read 888 times)

AL

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
  • Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
    • View Profile
Johnson Century II 101
« on: November 22, 2017, 05:59:26 PM »
Photo of what we might never see

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Johnson Century II 101
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 05:37:36 AM »
Gotta be one out there somewhere waiting for us to discover it!! Will be fun when we do!!

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 06:38:03 AM »
IMHO, Citation II and Century II may well be among the rarest of all Johnson reels, right up there with the Model 10.  Never seen either of 'em.

Huckster37

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 02:43:56 PM »
There's a few hard to find Johnson's, but those three that you mentioned Skip are the rarest. I have never seen any of these three except in catalogs and I don't know anyone else that has either. You would think one of them would show up on eBay for a huge profit, or someone here or on Fishing Talks would already have one or at least seen a picture of one besides these catalog photos. Makes me wonder if any of them even made it to the stores. I agree Skip the Century and Citation II's look a lot like Sprints, so maybe that's what they are and Johnson just changed decals a the last minute after the catalog was already been issued. Another Johnson mystery.

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 07:59:08 PM »
Dennis, we may well be onto something with the similarities between Century and Citation II and the Sprint 215 and 235.  I'd almost bet the homestead they're the same reel and that the first iteration ( C & C II) never actually existed. 
I just researched the catalogs.  The only year the C II's were shown was 1979. In 1980, the Sprints were shown.  Previous assertation seems confirmed.  Always willing to be contradicted.  Johnson also rolled the '78 Sprite 200 and the '79 Sprite 200A  into the Sprint series in 1980, designating it Sprint 205.  These l'il mini-spincasters are delightful machines, perfect for panfish and trout.  Not too difficult to work on, either.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal