Author Topic: Scout 145 Pictures  (Read 977 times)

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Scout 145 Pictures
« on: November 14, 2017, 11:54:04 AM »
Of all the reels I have acquired over the past two years, this reel takes the honor of being the dirtiest. It was almost like it had been sitting under water in a pond overnight and then put away wet. Full of dirt, moss, corrosion and old dried grease. Not a pristine reel now but at least all functions work as intended. A couple of interesting things about this reel. First both the front cover on the reel and the 1979 catalogue says it has a ceramic line pick up. This one has the steel pin pickup. So a question mark! There are no schematics posted so I don’t know what they would show. Second, the drag knob is really nice in terms of being able to remove it. There is no tab on the knob to completely stop it from turning beyond 360 degrees. So you just turn until it unscrews. You do need to lift on the knob towards the end to easily keep the head engaged inside the knob. I would love to see schematics posted if anyone has any.

Huckster37

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Scout 145 Pictures
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 11:06:46 AM »
I think I have the schematic for this reel, will check when I get home. I thought I would have posted them, but looks like I missed the boat. I think I might reorganize the schematic section in the future, I have a lot more but most are repeats printed in a different year.
Didn't that drag knob have a retaining clip?

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 11:39:00 AM »
No retaining clip which is really nice. The knob is all one piece with just the round hole at the bottom for the metal screw to go through. I am sure you also have experienced where the early knobs (like on a Century) when adjusting the drag had that clip come out. And once out, it seems difficult to get it to stay in again. This knob was so easy to get out so I could clean the reel, I thought maybe I was doing something wrong!!

Huckster37

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 04:40:50 PM »
I like it when you get interested in a reel, you point out things I neglect to notice. I have one of these reels, when I took it apart and cleaned it I never bothered to look at the schematic. I've wasted my money on these schematics if I don't even bother to look at them. Around that time the Sprint 215 & 235 were similar in design except the drag knob was on the side like the Scout schematic. Who ever made up this service manual must have gotten confused. The Scout 145 was only made one year 1979, then came the Scout 95 the following two years. The schematic for the 95 is the same with a side mount drag knob, but I don't have one of those reels to confirm. The catalog shows top mount drag knob though. The drag part numbers for both Scout reels and the two Sprints mentioned above are the same. Just anther Johnson mystery.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 04:42:24 PM by Huckster37 »

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 04:46:55 PM »
So the hunt is on for a Scout 95!

Huckster37

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 04:51:05 PM »
You read my mind ;) It's been on my list for a while, so far the only ones I seen were either in very poor condition or very over priced.

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 08:24:51 PM »
Guys, I think those "transition period" reels may be under-appreciated.  I put a 710C on a rod this year, and was pleasantly surprised at how smooth the reel is.  My reels from this era include Century 115, Century 135, Scout 145, Spirit 85, Force 315, 710C, Sprint 215 and 235, Sprint 205, Sprite 200 and 200A.  The l'il Sprites are my favorite minis.

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 07:02:30 AM »
I agree with you Skip. I never really was into these reels very much simply because of their dark sort of boxy look. I preferred the looks of the earlier Johnsons for collecting as well as how you could see the improvements they made from model to model. And I sort of stopped collecting once I got past the late 1970 models. But after I got a few of these and tore them apart, I saw they still had the same basic gearing, drag, antireverse, etc mechanisms that the earlier reels had which made Johnson reels great. I don't have the number of these transition reels like you and Dennis do but might look to continue adding!

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 06:33:42 PM »
Chuck, I agree about the internal arrangement of the transition reels.  It seems to me that Johnson smoothed out the drive train on these.  Can't say if it was improved materials or better machining. 
The Century 115 has become pretty available on eBay, many of the others are hard to find because of the short production runs.  I still have that Sprint 235 you got the handle from, haven't seen another one since.  Need any other 235 parts yet?   ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal