Author Topic: Cooks Premier Reel Versions  (Read 843 times)

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Cooks Premier Reel Versions
« on: October 17, 2017, 06:53:58 AM »
Here are two versions of the Cook’s Premier Model CP reel based on the Johnson Century 100B. Left one is based on an early 100B and the right one is based on a later 100B. And the pictures of the nice one Dennis has and previously posted is yet another version. So we know Cook’s sold these reels for several years. I am curious if Cooks ever had Johnson make other reels for them based on something other than the Century. I have only seen the Century based models.

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Cooks Premier Reel Versions
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 07:41:30 PM »
Chuck, the only Cook's reels by Johnson I've ever seen were Century.  However, I've seen Hawthorne reels (MW) on the Laker and Sabra platforms.

GaryWB

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
  • Non-Johnson reels are not the ones they look for
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 01:38:38 PM »
There's one on Ebay now that doesn't match any of these version.  It has the drain holes in the rear of the front cover.  Black handle but a white push button.  Button could have been changed however

Gary

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 02:36:25 PM »
Gary, I saw it. I don't know about the front cover. It could be legit. But the reel has had some changes. The acorn nut for the handle has been replaced with some hardware store nut. I doubt Johnson placed white buttons on the Cooks reels but in any event do not believe they would have had a white button with a black handle. The handle looks like a Century 100-A handle. The Cooks reels were based on the Century 100B platforms I think. And all of the trade reels I have collected or seen based on the 100B have black buttons and matching black handles which are either the plank  or  sculptured ones. That is my opinion anyway. Chuck

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 02:40:50 PM »
Gary,
Actually just now looked at the pics Dennis posted of his. So the cover on the Ebay listed one appears to be correct compared to Dennis'. But handle, button and nut are not I believe. You could take the one on eBay and put on the correct parts and have an almost original Cook's reel! Chuck

GaryWB

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
  • Non-Johnson reels are not the ones they look for
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 06:34:43 PM »
When something doesn't look right with any reel, I always come back to this sight and look at the pics you guys have posted of the reels you've had.   I know Johnson made a multitude of changes over the years.  That also makes it difficult to know if a reel is original or had field adjustments made to it.
I was positive the white push button and black handle weren't a match though.  I've never seen them use that combo.

Gary

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 08:58:57 PM »
I like the "field adjustments" term, Gary!  Very descriptive and polite.   ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal