Author Topic: Wards Hawthorne Art No 60-6437  (Read 306 times)

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Wards Hawthorne Art No 60-6437
« on: October 05, 2017, 02:28:57 PM »
I recently acquired at a garage sale a Wards Hawthorne Art No 60-6437 reel which I believe is a precursor  to the Montgomery Wards Art No 60-6437A reel which I also have. When I looked at it, I noticed the handle didn’t turn but just assumed it had some old grease issues since the reel was very dirty with cob webs on it. So I paid the $3 they were asking for it. Turns out I probably paid at least $2.50 too much. When taking it apart, I discovered the drive shaft was frozen in place. The only way to get it out was remove the retaining wire, spring and pinion gear and then slowly using and adding washers one at a time under the cap nut on the front, slowly extract the shaft. It eventually came out. Then I discovered after I removed the retaining wire on the back end of the shaft, it became out of shape. I could not get it to stay back on the shaft in the groove. I thankfully had an E retaining ring from another parts reel that seemed to work and now holds the shaft spring in place. In the pictures you can see this reel is really a Laker 140 which was simply painted another color and badged under the Hawthorne name. I also show it alongside the 60-6437A. While this reel is kind of rough, it now is fully functional and a nice addition.

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Wards Hawthorne Art No 60-6437
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 06:20:22 PM »
Nice salvage job, Chuck!  Seized pinion shafts/gears seems to be fairly common on those older reels.  I've had pretty good luck with automotive engine degreaser to break 'em loose.  At least I haven't melted anything down yet.   ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal