Author Topic: Century 100B 45th Anniversary models  (Read 1530 times)

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Century 100B 45th Anniversary models
« on: September 15, 2017, 06:04:51 PM »
This might qualify as a Johnson "service bulletin".  Re: the Johnson Century 100B 45th Anniversary reels made in China, circa 2000.  I've discovered a problem with one of the two variations of this model I have experience with.  I have one that seems to be an earlier model, to wit:  the "Johnson" name across the upper part of the pushbutton is in larger, vertical letters and the drag dial is numbered, as the original 100B, highlighted in gold.  The tag on the reel foot is numbered 803.  I have two other 100B 45th Anniversary reels, reel foot tag #'s 811 & 812.  These reels have the Johnson inscription on the pushbutton in slanted, much smaller letters, and drag dial has arrows pointing to  plus and minus symbols.  These two (apparently) later reels have phillips-head sideplate screws that are virtually IMPOSSIBLE to remove to service the drive train gears.  I applied various penetrating oils over a one-week period to one of the reels and still wallowed out the bottom screw head to the point that the only way to get it out would be to drill it.  Has anyone else encountered this problem with this model?  Solutions? 

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Century 100B 45th Anniversary models
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 02:52:21 PM »
Quality sounds like something made in China!!

Huckster37

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 03:38:42 PM »
I have yet to own one of these. The only way I ever would is if I acquired it in a lot of reels. There are plenty of the 40th anniversary USA made models out there. I have a few and I can attest to their quality, in fact even the USA made reels from the 90's are junk compared to the old Century's. I didn't know what people had to pay for the 40th reels, but compared to anything else Johnson made at that time they must have cost a pretty penny. Toss those 45th's in the trash & I'll send you a 40th Skip.
That's my solution. ;)

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 09:38:20 PM »
 ;D  Thank you for the generous offer, Dennis!  I already have two 40ths, one of 'em's on a rod right now.  Toby (kentuckystorm) bought a 45th off of eBay and had it shipped to me for service.   That's the one I couldn't get the screw out of.  I paid too much for another one at a garage sale yesterday, started taking it apart this afternoon, and the spool spindle was broken completely off!
I have a 3rd 45th I bought off of eBay last year simply it was really inexpensive.  I think all three of 'em all going in the trash.  Might salvage front covers and crank handles.

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 09:00:40 PM »
I finally got Toby's 45th Anniversary Century cleaned and lubed.  Had a heckuva time getting the pinion shaft reassembled.  Those 45th Ann'y reels gotta have an ancient Chinese curse on 'em!

TIMMY

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 06:25:07 AM »
i looked at one of those 45th ann reels on the shelf at wal mart when they first came out. i could tell by looking at it that it was a piece of junk. i suspect that Lloyd Johnson would roll over in his grave if he knew that his name was on an inferior reel. as far as those screws go, i've had the same thing happen to me with a couple of the transition period reels. on a 115 century i put the tip of a hot soldering iron on the screw head until it got hot, it turned right out after that...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal