Author Topic: Century 100B Version Comparison  (Read 1472 times)

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Century 100B Version Comparison
« on: August 31, 2017, 03:25:42 PM »
I know there are many versions of the Century 100B. The three I picture here are nice representations of early, middle and later versions and do a great job of showing some of the changes as this model progressed during the years. In comparing these reels to the catalogs  and owner documents with schematics that came with them, the left reel is from around 1963, the middle one from around 1967, and the right reel from around 1975. Some changes are pretty obvious while others are a little more subtle. The more obvious are changes are in the frame from rough to smooth, changes in the handle and line control buttons from black to white and then from sculptured to the flatter design, and changes in the front cover to the eventual groove and from side slots to front slots to no slots. Also it is obvious Johnson went from the copper spool retention clip (which is pictured in the 1963 schematics) to the wire spool clip on later versions. Even the line spools changed. The less obvious changes start with the frame. On the right reel or later version, Johnson added a rib from the foot up to the round spool housing. They increased the size of the rivet head holding the side plate tubes in place on the later versions from the early version. The housing for the drive shaft went from brass to brass and I assume aluminum (not sure) and then back to brass. They also changed on the right reel how they displayed left and right and off on the anti-reverse control from the earlier versions.  Fun stuff!

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Century 100B Version Comparison
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 06:09:00 PM »
Chuck, beautiful reels and great info!  Thanks!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal