Author Topic: Laker II 140C versions  (Read 504 times)

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Laker II 140C versions
« on: August 20, 2017, 11:47:29 AM »
I made an interesting purchase at a garage sale yesterday. I already had a Laker II 140C new in the box (reel on the left in the pictures). A gentleman was selling his Johnson rods mounted with Johnson reels he had purchased many years ago. So the interesting one I bought was the 140C in the pictures on the right. I looked in the catalogs and see the Laker II showing up in the 1977 and 1978 catalogs and nowhere else. In both of those, the reel has a black handle,  black push button, black safety lock button and black lettering on the side plate. The one I got yesterday is just the opposite. Handle , both buttons and lettering is white. And the cover on it has drain slots which the black lettered reel doesn’t.  And if you look closely, you can see they were kind of sloppy in putting on the side plate sticker as it is out of alignment a bit. The gentleman didn’t  remember what year he bought it but none the less, a nice addition to my collection!

Huckster37

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Laker II 140C versions
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 04:25:17 PM »
I think they only made these reels two years (77 & 78). One thing about Johnson reels, if they made more than one reel of any model they probably made changes. If you get another one it will probably be different than each of these two.

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Laker II 140C versions
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 04:56:54 PM »
Kind of like the old cars! A '57 Chevy looked different than a '56 and they both looked different than a '54. The good old days!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal