Author Topic: My First Model 80  (Read 1288 times)

chinkelmann

My First Model 80
« on: August 02, 2017, 05:44:50 PM »
Well, I just bought my first Model 80 on eBay. Here is the link to it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/311919626666. I think I was able to get it for a fair price with a bit of haggling over best offer. I'm planning on buying a new spinning rod for it tomorrow or the near future.

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: My First Model 80
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 08:13:17 PM »
80's, and for that matter, all of the Johnson sidewinders, can be used on either spinning or casting rods, if I'm not mistaken.

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 07:44:18 AM »
Nice looking reel! While all Sidewinders are neat and show Johnson' evolution in the closed face reel business, I think because of all of its features, the Model 80 is the most fishable and neatest looking of all of the Sidewinders. And there seem to be several versions of it.

chinkelmann

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 09:14:53 PM »
Skip: Yeah, I looked at the manual here, but I already have plenty of casting rods and I wanted to mix it up. I may use a fly rod or even a crappie rod. I went to Wal-Mart today to pick up the spinning rod that I was gonna get because they normally have 2-3 and they were all gone except for the new casting rod that I love.

Salmonfishing: I agree plus it was the last model, I believe and should be like the top tier. I'll probably end up getting more sidewinders, but I want to start with this one and work down the evolution. Plus having the extra spool was what really sold me on this one and not being a demonstrator.

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 09:41:39 PM »
Nuthin' wrong with mixing things up a bit or trying something new and different, chinkelmann.   ;D  Good luck with finding the spinning rod you want!

chinkelmann

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 01:51:38 PM »
I received my Mod. 80 a day early and pretty happy with it. The cover has a bit of finish scratches, but nothing outrageous. The extra spool has something written on it like: 250 61.5 . I haven't been able to fully make it out, but will attempt later. The line retrieval is very smooth and I will have to become more familiar with the reel before actually using it. The handle and drag system are smaller than I though, but not worried about it. The drag doesn't seem to be working at the moment or is set super low.  The line release button works along with the clicker switch. I haven't gotten too deep into it as I am learning about it. I am definitely going to use a spinner or fly rod with it, leaning more fly rod. Overall, I really like it and can't wait to catch some Guadalupe rainbows on it. The thing that I like the most about this whole transaction is that hand written price on the box.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 02:02:55 PM by chinkelmann »

chinkelmann

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 07:26:33 PM »
Well, I took the reel apart some more and have unwound the previous line on the spool. I still haven't figured out the drag system and have a question about the spool. Did the spool have a plastic or rubber piece on the inside? I attempted to show it in the second picture. Looking forward to any advice

I was also able to pick up the spinning reel that I originally wanted.

Huckster37

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 02:53:08 AM »
After putting line on one of these reels I complained about how much line it took to fill it. The advice I received was to put some sort of spacer on the spool before putting the line on. My guess is that's what you have here.

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 06:56:15 AM »
I have several model 80 reels. Some came with a rubber/foam spacer in the spool and some didn’t.   Like Dennis says, it was there probably to take up some of the space. Regarding the drag, there is no anti reverse on the reel so the drag only works if you hold the handle while the fish is fighting and pulling on the line. I have included at the end a link to the thread on this site where the 80 owner’s manual is that includes a schematic so you can see what the drag system looks like. If you would like to see  pictures of the actual parts let me know and I will post some. If it is sticking a little, you can take it apart, clean the washers and very lightly oil  them to get it to work smoothly. Just make sure to not over oil. Also just an FYI since you said you might try this on a fly rod. The model 80 can be mounted above like on a spin casting rod or below like on a spinning or fly rod. You just need to make sure the line spool is placed inside the reel with the line facing the proper direction for forward cranking to retrieve the line (Skip Smith enlightened me on that when I first started collecting Johnson reels many months ago).

http://www.johnsonreels-online.org/index.php/topic,81.0.html

chinkelmann

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 07:31:39 PM »
Huckster: Yeah, I was amazed because I basically put 290+ yards of 4lb test on it with at least an 1/8" to spare. The spare spool didn't have the spacer, so I used that one.

Salmonfishing: Okay, yeah, I took the whole thing apart at a pretty basic level and just couldn't figure it out. I do like it though especially after respooling it and getting some practice casts in. I couldn't get the crank to retrieve clockwise at first, but flipped the spool and it works now. From the look of the parts on the inside, it has been very well taken care of and oiled with a mix of oil and maybe graphite. Everything is smooth and works flawlessly. I downloaded the manual from the site and used it for respooling and trying to understand the drag system. I'm using a spinning rod at the moment, but think a fly rod will be better because of how the line has to be held. Pages 5 and 7 show the different rods, spinning and fly, but spinning rod reels seem to be seated further up the handle nowadays with a lack of space to hold the line. I'll take pictures when I can get a fly rod. Overall, the reel is great and I have been getting 30-35' casts out while practicing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal