Author Topic: Seven Ten Model 710C Pictures  (Read 1319 times)

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Seven Ten Model 710C Pictures
« on: July 28, 2017, 03:49:18 PM »
Here are pictures of a Seven Ten Model 710C reel. It appears to be unused and new in the box. It pretty much comes with the recognized gearing, anti-reverse, and drag system. It does come with the rubber washer rather than the metal one under the drag knob. It has an interesting raised marking on the front side of the main frame line spool housing area. I am not sure what it is supposed to be or represent. Also the nut that holds the rotor on the shaft has a neck that extends down inside the rubber line snubber that fits on the front of the rotor. Finally when I took the reel apart to clean out the factory grease that tends to harden, I noticed what I thought appeared to be the pinion gear installed incorrectly at least in my mind (see the picture). I assumed the flat washer like end on the gear would rest against the main frame housing. So when I reinstalled it, I put the flat end there. But when I turned the handle, there was a slight chatter to the gears. So I reinstalled it like it came and the chatter went away. Looks weird to me but I guess that is how it is supposed to be. I will post pictures of the owner’s manual to that thread. It proves you can’t rely on pictures because some of the parts they picture in it, (i.e. front cover and rotor nut) don’t match what the actual parts look like.

Huckster37

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Seven Ten Model 710C Pictures
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 06:19:31 PM »
I had the same thing happen to me with a pinion gear, I can't remember which reel (I don't think it was my 710C I'll check). This is a basic Johnson reel, what makes it so valuable is it's rarity. This is only the third one I ever seen, until yesterday when I saw the forth one which I grabbed. It is used though, I have another used one as well. The other one I've seen was new in the box as well, but I didn't know at the time how hard they are to find and let it get away. When I get the one I just bought I'll clean it up and post pictures of the two used ones I have.

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 07:12:51 PM »
I have had this reel on my hit list for some time but had never seen one until this one showed up. I do hope the rarity justifies what I spent for it!

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 10:48:05 PM »
Guys, I grabbed one of these 710C's out of a flea market in Albia, IA, in the late 1980's , and it languished in my collection for many years.   Put it on a rod a couple of years ago.  What an incredible reel!  Smooth as silk on the retrieve!   The Force 315 is comparable....you gotta try 'em,if you can find 'em! 

TIMMY

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 03:37:05 PM »
Skip, i find it rather remarkable,  that you picked up such a rare reel in the town I grew up in ! where was I ? LOL

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 08:15:41 PM »
Tim, you probably doing your final exams to graduate from high school.   ;D

TIMMY

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 05:59:40 AM »
skip, graduated in 85. I did still live in albia until 1989. I was pretty busy being a wildman around that time. I only live 15 miles from there now...

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 02:59:24 PM »
By golly, you were in town!  When you mentioned the years you graduated and left, the light bulb over my head came on.  I would've bought that 710C in 1987.  I was with my parents at my Dad's class reunion...he graduated from either Albia or Moravia in 1927.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal