Author Topic: Guadalupe River Kayak Fishing trip  (Read 934 times)

chinkelmann

Guadalupe River Kayak Fishing trip
« on: July 19, 2017, 11:41:49 PM »
Hello all, thought I'd post a picture of one of my successes on a kayak fishing trip. The fish is just a little hand sized Longear sunfish that I caught on the Guadalupe River in New Braunfels, TX. I was using my Johnson 100B 45th Anniversary reel on a 7' Berkley Cherrywood rod. I have a 40th model on a 5'6" rod that I might take next time. Overall, I caught three fish this size and two babies; all were released. I was using a Meps spinner in trout color to catch all of these fish. I'll be going back on the water next Friday and will be hunting bass with a crawdad softbait. I'll post pictures of what I catch.

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Guadalupe River Kayak Fishing trip
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 02:06:55 PM »
Looks like fun!

Huckster37

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 07:21:22 PM »
Looking forward to your next outing. Let us know any differences you notice between the 45th and the 40th.

chinkelmann

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 11:46:26 AM »
That first time out there was a lot of fun and fish were not picky. The last trip on Friday started bad with foul hooking a bass in a small rapids area. I took the 45th anniversary out again. One of the differences that I have noticed is the drag  display. The selector is round, like a knob, on the 45th while the same part has a point on the 40th. The display on the 40th also goes from 1-8 while the same display on the 45th has two arrows indicating more or less. I have included a picture to display this. I also believe that the line spool is plastic, 45th, versus, metal, 40th. I would have to disassemble them to confirm this.

I do know that this reel took a few beatings during the trip though. I threw a spinner across a small rapids, there are four to five sets on that separated the river sections, and got snagged underwater. I was able to drag myself in a kayak by reeling in and using the snag as a pivot point to dislodge it. I weigh 270 and the kayak with gear was an easy 60+lbs. I now have very few reservations about the power of this reel.

The next Veteran organization outing for these reels and maybe even some new to me will be either Lake Palestine, TX on Sept. 9th for a bass tournament or living in Michigan for six months.

I do have one question for the group and may post in the main Century 100b forum: did Johnson make metal line retrieval pins for the 100b? I'm asking because I want to use braided line and was told that eventually it would cut though the plastic.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:47:15 AM by chinkelmann »

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 08:48:08 PM »
Chinkelmann, I've heard of other members having problems with braided line in spin cast reels, especially cutting into not only the spool, but also the spinner head, or rotor, itself.  Spin cast reels generally seem better suited to mono line than braided because of the heavier friction of braided line against moving parts.  Can't speak to it personally, because all I use is mono.

chinkelmann

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 01:15:12 AM »
I used it for a bit, but it kept tangling and had all kinds of issues. I talked with the Cabela's guys and they recommended an Abumatic 1276SLi since I just prefer spincast reels. I found out that Johnson did use metal pins though in older versions, so I may be able to find one to test out from eBay. I did find a South Bend 105 spincast reel that does have a metal pin and am practicing with it right now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal