Author Topic: Hawthorne Reels  (Read 404 times)

Berkleyboy

Hawthorne Reels
« on: June 26, 2017, 03:17:48 PM »
I am looking for any information about the line of Hawthorne reels. I have a Hawthorne Century and Hawthorne Sabra in my collection. I figure they are fairly hard to come by would like any information someone could share with me like what years were they made and possible what models were made?

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Hawthorne Reels
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 04:00:35 PM »
Hi. If you look at the Montgomery Wards board towards the bottom of the home page you will see a picture of a Hawthorne apparently patterned after a 710 reel posted by Huckster37. So that is at least one more. I have no idea on how many models or years made but the Hawthorne reels Johnson made for Wards would certainly correlate with the years of the Johnson versions they replicated. Maybe Huckster37 or Skip Smith knows.You see Hawthornes occasionally come up on EBay but seem to go for pretty good prices.

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 06:22:14 PM »
Berkeleyboy, I'm inclined to agree with Chuck.  It makes sense to me that the MW reels made by Johnson would have paralleled the run period of the corresponding Johnson model.  I've not studied the Hawthorne line to any depth, thus most of the Johnson-built Hawthorne's would date from the 1960's.

TIMMY

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 06:33:30 AM »
I had an opportunity a few years ago to purchase several model of hawthorne johnsons from a former johnson reel employee. there was a sabra 130B , 710 . a laker 140 and a sabra 130 . the reels had been in a display case at the johnson factory in the late sixties. i was going to buy them along with a large hoard of parts. then our furnace went out and i had to let it all go.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal