Author Topic: Camp Barnabas reels  (Read 463 times)

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Camp Barnabas reels
« on: April 14, 2017, 09:23:24 PM »
Many of you know that I service and maintain the fishing tackle for Camp Barnabas, a nearby summer camp for disabled kids.  Most of their tackle is the cheapest variety of Chinese Shakespeare's and  Zebco's.  For the 2016 season, I decided to try to upgrade their tackle a bit, and provided some 6 Johnson graphite reels, with thanks to Chad B. for a generous donation.
When I collected their equipment at the end of the 2016 season, I was stunned and, frankly, a bit outraged, that nearly all of those graphite Johnson reels were unusable, front and back covers missing, nothing but parts.
For 2017, I resolved "No more good stuff", so the Camp got the cheapest stuff I could round up.  I still felt the kids deserved better, and over the winter, I began to wonder if the Century 100B reels might a better choice.  Yeah, they're old, and parts are a bit of a problem, but they're built like an M1A1 Abrams tank and they're easy for Skip to work on.  Plus, the only part readily removable without tools is the front cover.  A phone conversation with Al cemented my resolve to give Johnson's another shot.  For the 2018 camping season, I'll introduce a pilot program of a handful of Century 100B's and see how they survive.  Don't care if the front cover looks like the reel has been dragged through a gravel pit behind a Jeep Wrangler, don't care if it has a 1967 pushbutton and a '78 crank handle, as long as it casts, retrieves and the drag works.  Not spending over $15, in my mailbox for complete reels.  Donations of complete reels or parts are welcome.

AL

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
  • Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
    • View Profile
Re: Camp Barnabas reels
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 09:47:03 AM »
I sent you two from e-bay last night. mailed straight to you. In the next couple of days, I will  send some more along with some parts for repairs.

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 08:20:51 PM »
Thank you so much, Al!  Greatly appreciated!  Lessee if the little ****'* can tear up those 100B tanks!

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 05:04:10 PM »
I have one coming to me that I need to check out before I send it to you. Appears pretty dirty so I will clean as best I can before I mail it.  Might have another one in a couple of days. Will have to wait and see.

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 08:32:40 PM »
 ;)  Many thanks, Chuck!  Much appreciated!

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 05:23:04 PM »
I just acquired a 100B on Ebay and am having it sent straight to you. Looks pretty dirty and I have no idea if it works but here is hoping. I will sent to you an email with a link  to it on ebay so when you get it, you can make sure it is what was listed.

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 05:44:41 PM »
Got the link, Chuck, thanks!  Looks good....just needs a l'il TLC.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal