Author Topic: Sa'bra 130B versions pics  (Read 1177 times)

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Sa'bra 130B versions pics
« on: April 06, 2017, 12:13:10 PM »
I have a pair of Sabra 130B reels that appear to be new and unused. Noting slight differences, I decided to compare them. The initial difference to note is in the front cover. The reel on the left has 5 vents along the outer rim while the reel on the right has no vents.  Next is that the  rotor, rotor pickup pin and rotor nut are entirely different between the two. According to the 1977 catalog, the Sabra 130B featured a new ceramic line pickup to reduce line friction which the one on the right has. So I am guessing it is the later of the two versions. Next in looking at the line spools, they are even slightly different. The arrow on the left spool indicating the off direction is slightly longer in length than the arrow on the right spool. Looking at the frames you can see the right frame has a slot in the bottom and the left one doesn’t. Also how they attached the front frame cavity to the frame is slightly different between them. The left reel shows some tabs while the left one doesn’t.  While the gearing, ant-reverse, oscillation and drag mechanics are the same, there is a difference in the type of metal component used in making the gears it appears.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 03:09:23 PM by salmonfishing »

Huckster37

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Sa'bra 130B versions pics
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 02:22:03 PM »
Thanks Chuck. I think your right on the right reel being the newer of the two. If you look at the gears on the 80's model Johnson they all have that type of metal, I bet the older gears are heavier, and more expensive to produce. The line pickup on the left one is the same as all the older Johnson's. I'm not sure when they started using the other style, but I'm sure it came later. I never thought about it even though I have plenty of both. Thanks this gives me another mystery worry my pea brain over. I only have one of these, and it's one the the earlier reels I took apart before I started documenting better with pictures. At first glance mine is an older one except for the line pickup.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 07:21:01 PM by Huckster37 »

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 03:11:54 PM »
Thanks Dennis for the PS! I corrected. Seems I get confused between right an left sometimes.

TIMMY

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 06:25:10 AM »
there are several differences in the early to late versions of the 130B. there are it seems 2 different back covers. the earlier versions used a 3 lug rotor nut and the later versions used a 2 lug rotor nut. the rotor nut on the original 130 is superior to both and i can't understand why they went away from it. also the early 130B used the same rotor as the 130A and there is significant differences to the new style rotor used in the late 130B. also i have what i believe to be one of the very last 130B's to be produced. it has a plastic center hub just like all the transition period reels. the early sabras all used hardened steel " permaloy " gears that are in my opinion indestructable. the later gears appear to be more of an aluminum base and are simply not as tough as the old ones.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal