Author Topic: About Mike (Meridian167)  (Read 883 times)

Meridian167

About Mike (Meridian167)
« on: August 29, 2015, 01:30:23 PM »
Growing up in North Alabama, I have many fond childhood memories of fishing with my mother and father on the Tennessee River.  They both loved to fish and the first fishing reel of my own was a Johnson Century 100B.  I did not realize at the time how well made and fine crafted they were.

In my 30s and 40s, I got away from fishing, forgetting how great Johnson reels were.  For some reason, I started fishing with the old Zebco 33s. 

About a year or so ago, I happened into an old antique store in Guntersville, Alabama and spotted some old Johnson reels. These reels were trashed out, but it renewed my interest in my old childhood friend.  I started searching on E-bay and bought a Century in good shape.  With one cast I was hooked again on Johnson Reels.

I have bought quite a few over the past year, mostly Centurys, Citations, Commanders and 710Bs, causing my daughter (my fishing buddy) to shake her head in disbelief at our growing collection. I buy them to use, covering them with reel covers to cut down on the “reel rash” on the covers when they are transported or moved.

My daughter was raised on Zebco 33s and now she is hooked on Johnson’s too.  They cast so much further!

I enjoy repairing them and giving them a new life, but the fact of the matter is that these beauties were so well made that most of the time, no repairs are needed and with care, they will last a lifetime.

Thanks for letting me into the group!

Sincerely,
Mike (Meridian167)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 01:35:58 PM by Meridian167 »

Matt W

Re: About Mike (Meridian167)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 05:08:30 AM »
Welcome aboard Meridian167!  Glad to have ya. 

Huckster37

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: About Mike (Meridian167)
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 12:20:39 PM »
That sounds like my story. I grew up fishing Century's, some how later into adulthood wound up use Zebco 33's. Then a couple years ago I saw a Century at a yard sale and had to have it. Like yours it was trashed but the seed was planted. I to went to eBay and now not only do I fish with these old reels again but have become a collector.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal