Author Topic: 100 B with worn pinion gear  (Read 1598 times)

Brad Alexander

100 B with worn pinion gear
« on: March 11, 2017, 07:52:55 PM »
I bought a 100B reel new in probably '76 or '77. I've used it a lot over the years but it's been a while since last used and it felt a little gummy so I decided to service it.  It seems in very good condition except for the pinion gear is worn.  I would like to get the part or just buy another one off e-bay or something.  I really like the reel since it's the only closed faced spinning reel I've ever seen that can be used under-rod, right crank.  Totally universal!  Only ultralight trigger spins operate that way and most of them seem to be pretty cheap reels.

I was glad to see quite a few out there on e-bay.  I should probably buy a couple and have a spare and a parts donor.  Do all the 100B's have the same internal parts?

Any advice is appreciated.

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: 100 B with worn pinion gear
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 09:12:18 PM »
Hi, Brad!  I have a 100B with a similar problem, worn pinion gear.  Just a few hours ago, I had a talk with Chad B., a fellow member, who pointed out that 100B's have two different pinion/crank gear ratios.  One setup has a 12-tooth pinion, 35-tooth crank gear, the other has a 16-tooth pinion, 45-tooth crank gear.  Both Chad B. and Al (OCauto)may have gear sets in both ratios, I believe.  Both of us will have to take our 100B's apart and count gear teeth.  Probably better be cold sober to do it!

Skip

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 10:17:09 PM »
Hey, Brad1  I just got off the phone with site-owner, Al Stover.  We discovered a glitch with the Personal Message system, where members can talk privately.  Anyhow. Al's working on that problem and also talking about sending me several 100B parts reels.  Be patient, and maybe we can come up with gear sets for both of our reels.  It sounds like you need a gear set for a 1974-79 100B and I need a gear set for a 62-73 100B, so let's see what shakes out.

Skip

Brad Alexander

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 02:24:39 PM »
Skip,

Thanks for the help. Let me know what you find out.  I was afraid there might be some subtle, or not so subtle, differences.  Glad to have some experts out there!

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 07:56:48 PM »
Will do, Brad.  I counted teeth on my 100B, crank gear has 35, so mine's a 12/35 reel.  Waiting to see what shows up in the mail box.

Skip

PatrickZ

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 06:25:17 AM »
The other difference is that the earlier 100Bs (sculpted thumb button and handle) had steel "permaloy" gears, while the last ones had zinc diecast gears.  In my experience the later diecast gears are quieter and smoother, but don't wear as long.  A complete set will interchange between the models, but I wouldn't mix and match between the steel and the diecast pinions and gears.

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 11:48:07 AM »
Good point, Patrick...thanks!  ;D

Brad Alexander

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 05:23:41 PM »
Thanks for the input.  Just took mine apart and counted. It is a 16/45. Let me know if any parts become available. 
Again thanks for the information.

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 02:54:38 PM »
You're very welcome, Brad!  I'll keep you posted.

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 03:32:14 PM »
Hey, Brad, I got two sets of 12/35 gears in the mail from our friend Chad B.!  Have you found a 16/45 gear set for your reel yet?

GaryWB

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 07:01:03 PM »
Skip

Do you know of any other reels that were produced with different gear teeth/ratios?  Something else to watch out for eh?

Thanks
Gary

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 05:02:55 AM »
Hi, Gary!  I'm not aware of any differing gear ratios in the Johnson models, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.  Johnson seemed to make various changes during the production run of many models, kind of like Volkswagen cars, so it's always a bit of a crapshoot as to what you have in your hand.

Huckster37

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 07:09:51 AM »
Century's had two different gear sets the 12/35 and 16/45. I can't remember which came first at this time.

GaryWB

Re: 100 B pinion gear
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 11:40:21 AM »
Not sure if this is something you guys have run into.  Probably so since I'm the rookie of the group.  But just so it's documented for those people that might wander by looking for info.

I received a Century 100B that had excessive end play in the handle/crank shaft.  The shaft and gear are two separate pieces.  Each piece is splined and then pressed together.  So all I had to do was gently tap the shaft further into the gear.  Gently and slowly being the key phrases.  I kept doing that and then rechecking the end play until I got it where I wanted it.

Not sure how it would end up with the end play.  Dropped maybe?

Please add any thoughts you guys might have

Gary

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 07:10:31 PM »
Great fix, Gary....thanks for the tip!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal