Author Topic: Javelin Gold Pictures  (Read 1594 times)

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Javelin Gold Pictures
« on: March 09, 2017, 07:43:59 AM »
Kind of an interesting reel made in China and sold by Pure Fishing in Spirit Lake, Iowa. Billed as the first spincast reel that handles like a low profile baitcast reel. Don't know about handling but it seems to me to be just a smaller spincast reel with a different cover. Comes with 65 yards of 10lb line. It has dual pick up pins which is interesting and the anti-reverse is immediate and instant which is kind of cool. No back turn of the handle at all. The line spool has two tabs on the back which fit into slots on the frame. You turn the spool counterclockwise just a bit to tighten and clockwise just a bit to release and take it off. The front cover and push/thumb button attaches to the frame via two long screws. A word of caution regarding the screws. At the end of each are very, very small o rings. If you completely remove the top screw to remove the thumb button, you have to be very careful to not loose the o ring. Prior to screwing everything back together, make sure the o rings are back on as shown in the pictures and past the screw threads. Or as I found out, it is a little difficult to get them screwed back in, especially the top one.  I elected not to take apart the gearing. But it appears to be consistent with earlier gearing and drag systems. I really wanted to look at the anti-reverse to see how that instant stopping process works. Maybe another day!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 11:29:51 AM by salmonfishing »

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Javelin Gold Pictures
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 01:29:58 PM »
Chuck, you beat me to the draw on this one!  I've picked up two Javelin Silver models recently and was planning a blog on them.  You just saved me the trouble!

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 07:32:32 AM »
Skip, I was leery of taking the drag system apart. If you do that, I would be interested in seeing pictures. I think that immediate anti-reverse would be a neat thing to check out but was afraid I might screw it up if complicated. I usually only focus on early models but this one was too good to pass up and was curious what the inside looked like. Any idea on when this was manufactured? Other than color, do you think any difference between gold and silver models?Thanks.
Chuck

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 09:03:54 AM »
Hi Chuck!  I was unaware of the Javelin until just the last couple of years and share your intrigue for them.  As nearly as I can figure, they were made in the very early 2000's for just a few years.  I've seen dates of 2001-2002 associated with them.  I note they have the same style spinner head retainer nut as the Century C200-series reels, so I assume they're contemporaries.  I THINK the JG-SC (gold) has a couple more "ball bearings" than the JS-SC (silver), which would compare to the Century C200B and C200BG (gold).  The Javelin may be no more than a Century C200 with a (very) unique wrapper.  I haven't had time to open mine up yet, but will post pix of a/r and drag when I do.
I recently scored a Javelin rod/reel combo (VERY rare) in great used shape, for just over $40 delivered!  BARGAIN!
Skip

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 09:15:17 AM »
Skip, Great! Thanks. Can't wait to see the drag and a/r pics.
Chuck

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 07:48:47 PM »
I'm probably a couple of weeks away from my Javelins, Chuck.  I have 16 tons of "stuff" going on right now, and about 8 tons of time to do it in.  Please bear with me.   ;D

Skip

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 03:21:59 PM »
Chuck, I just tried taking my scuffed-up Javelin apart.  The first thing I noticed was that mine didn't have those tiny o-rings on the long screws.  All went well until I tried to take the drive train apart.  I gave up after 30-45 minutes of struggle.  I even tried dismantling the pinion assembly in place, couldn't get the e-clip off the end of the shaft.  The a/r looks pretty similar to the system used in the graphite TF series.  A copper plate on the back of the crank gear, with a tab that fits into a hole in the catch.  Crank forward, the tab pushes the catch clear, crank backward, the tab pulls the catch into the pawl disc.  I think the instant a/r feature is because the pawl looks like it may have as many as 12-15 closely spaced teeth.  I may take another crack at it, but not 'til I let off some steam.   ;D

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 05:05:01 PM »
Skip, yes those o rings are really small. Previous owner must have not noticed them and lost them. I really do not know what purpose they serve. I looked at the schematics and see what you mean about the tab fitting in and moving the catch engaging the pawl. It makes sense if the teeth are really small that it would be an instant a/r. I have seen that copper plate with the tab on other older reels (don't remember which ones thou). Thanks for trying!
Chuck

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 08:30:08 PM »
You're very welcome, my friend!  Whiskey is a great safety valve!   ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal