Author Topic: Model 130 Anti Reverse  (Read 1039 times)

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Model 130 Anti Reverse
« on: March 05, 2017, 11:15:16 AM »
After reading about the spring anti reverse in various posts, I decided to take apart an older 130 I have that is in rough shape ( in case I messed it up) to see what it looked like. I was referring to the 130 schematics from the 1967 parts catalog for disassembly and discovered this reel I was taking apart was a little different than the one pictured in the schematics. I attached pictures to show what I found in mine. First in my pictures you can see part D61-48 has a slot not pictured in the schematics. Also rather than having a spring and pawl (D61-53, D61-52) like in the schematics, mine had a key which fell out when I took off the gear (D61-3G). It took me a bit to find the key as it bounced onto the carpet but luckily I found it. The key fits into the notch/slot on D61-48 with the tooth or stub part of it towards the center and fitting down into the slot on D61-51. That is what engages the parts to interact rather than a pawl. The brass or copper washer (D61-34) then goes on to keep the key in place. The inside of the gear has a nylon washer which will sit next to the brass washer. And then finally goes the outside washer and shaft. So at least on 130 models, some may have a spring and pawl or some may have the slot and key mechanism. You may not  know which until you remove the gear. However now that I know about the key, you can actually see it along the side of D61-48 and it actually slides a little in and out as the key’s tooth gets to the rounded end part of the slot in D61-48 as you turn the handle. I didn’t take off the spring or spring spool as they appear to be identical as to what others have found. I have no clue but am guessing they replaced the key type with the pawl as the key is pretty small and I am guessing might have easily broken.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 11:40:35 AM by salmonfishing »

Huckster37

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Model 130 Anti Reverse
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 07:18:41 PM »
Thanks, now I have to open mine up. I hadn't planned on doing that for awhile. The reel was pretty clean as received. Is this the same reel you pictured earlier (the one without the diamond logo)?

Here's a 1962 schematic, it shows what you have. I have mine apart now and it's the same as yours. I'm glad you posted this before I took mine apart. It looks like your click spring is broke, I'll post pictures of mine as soon as I get it cleaned.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 08:04:45 PM by Huckster37 »

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 07:36:16 PM »
No, this was not one pictured before. I actually have 3 other 130 reels that I have never taken apart like I did this one. This one I just purchased on EBay. It had the diamond logo and was a buy it now for pretty cheap. So I snapped it up. It really is in rough shape so that is why I took it apart to see what I could clean up on it. Line spool is frozen onto the main frame and corrosion in several places. I will probably now take another one apart just to see if also has the key or a pawl. I actually kind of like how this spring system works and wonder why they abandoned it. I assume for cost reasons. If you take your diamond logo one apart, let me know if it has the key or a pawl. Thanks.

Huckster37

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 08:10:05 PM »
Mine is just like yours, I think the 1962 schematic shows the key but still calls it a pawl.

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 08:21:54 PM »
Yes, that spring is broke. When I took the gear off, a small piece of it fell out. What is it suppose to do? Just make a clicking sound? I also notice in the schematic you attached here that mine doesn't have the washer 130-26. Instead I have the nylon one with the tabs that fits inside the gear and how it was assembled when I took it apart. Maybe that is not how it is suppose to go but the schematics don't show tabs on 130-26. Does yours have the the nylon tabbed washer? Thanks for posting the 1962 schematics by the way.

Huckster37

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 09:10:31 PM »
Ok, all cleaned up. I'll start with the parts laid out in the order I hope they go.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 09:15:45 PM by Huckster37 »

Huckster37

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 09:22:45 PM »
Now to put it all together.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 09:29:03 PM by Huckster37 »

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 01:52:10 PM »
Great pix and discussionof the 130 drag and a/r system guys!  This is what J.R.C.A. is all about!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal