Author Topic: Mysterious Model 80  (Read 1805 times)

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Mysterious Model 80
« on: February 23, 2017, 12:44:29 PM »
I recently acquired a Model 80 which is unlike any Model 80 I own or have ever seen. If anyone has any info or insight about this particular mysterious Model 80, please let me know. In the pictures below, the mysterious or weird one is on the right compared to what I call a normal one on the left. The first difference is the weird one has a green casing rather than the black one I have always see on Model 80s. Next if you look at the front cover, you will see that the opening for the line is smaller and not trimmed in chrome like all other Sidewinder reels. It appears to look more like the opening and trim on a Century or Citation. Next you can see that rather than the cross cut gray/silver trim around the edge that a normal 80 has as well as a Model 44 and 22, this one has a ribbed trim in green like on a Citation cover. But in the picture comparing this reel to a Citation, you can see it is definitely not a Citation cover. Then rather than having the normal little slot and nipple method of attaching the cover to the casing, it screws on like a Model 44 and 22. If you look at the handle, while the stem is exactly the same size and shape as Model 80 and other Sidewinder model's handle stems, this one has a black knob rather than white. And the cap nut to hold the handle on is slightly larger on the weird reel.The gearing and drag system matches the same as the normal 80 except that the pin for the cranking and drag mechanism is solid on the weird one rather than hollow like on a normal one. Looking inside the casing, a normal 80 has the cranking pin extended slightly into the case in which the hole in the line spool goes over to keep the spool stationary. In the weird 80, rather than the pin being extend, there is a little nipple in the left bottom quarter sticking out for the spool hole to go over. This nipple type method is the same as used on the Model 44 and 22. Finally you can see on the back of the weird 80 that someone has dabbed some off color green over the model number. I can make out the "MOD" under the paint but where the number normally is, it appears the original paint was sanded or scrapedoff before the paint dab was put on. So while the gearing and drag system is completely a Model 80, the other differences baffle me. A cool thing is that it came with what appears to be some old black braid or cloth line spooled on it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 11:16:03 AM by salmonfishing »

Huckster37

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious Model 80
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 02:58:05 PM »
I have 3 Model 80's one of which is a Demonstrator. They are all the same except one has a slightly smaller line hole in the cap. I attached a Century ad from Outdoor Life May 1957 and they were still advertising the model 80 & 22 then. They may be like the Century's and used up extra parts before discontinuing them.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 03:28:38 PM by Huckster37 »

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 04:06:38 PM »
Dennis, do your 80s have the diamond/rasp pattern on the front cover or the ribbed one like like on this one? Also curious if yours are all black framed or green. I have three 80s also including a demo and none look like this one. Weird! Thanks.

Huckster37

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 06:43:31 PM »
All three the diamond pattern & black body. I've only had one of these tore all the way down and that was over a year ago and I didn't take pictures. When I get a chance I'll tear all three down and post pictures. Are you sure that green bodied one is an 80? Have you ever fished with one of these? I tried one last spring and caught a few Bluegill, that short crank handle wore me out.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 02:55:17 PM by Huckster37 »

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 08:31:38 PM »
I had no idea sidewinders were built as late as 1957!  I learn something new on this site all the time!  I have one Model 80, never used it.  That may change soon.

Skip

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 06:39:43 AM »
Nice pictures of the fish and reels. I am guessing fun to catch and great to eat! Nope, have never fished with mine. Only reels I have fished with are Centurys with my Grandkids. Not positive it is an 80 but if you look at the pictures I posted, the gearing, drag system etc. on this mysterious reel looks like the model 80 I show next to it. Not close to any other sidewinder model in how it's set up. It certainly isn't a Model 60 or older Model Sidewinder. What puzzles me on this reel is why someone would scratch out the model number on the back and dab some paint over that area. I know this is a stretch but I wonder since it is geared like an 80 but has some characteristics like a 44 exemplified by a front cover that screws on like a model 44 and also a 22 which also screws on, if this was some kind of prototype model after the 80 and before the 44 that never actually never made it to market?  Attached is a pdf file of a page from a Model 44 owner document showing the Models 80, 44 and 22. Also a picture of these same ones I have been lucky to collect. I guess this reel might remain a mystery as to what and why which makes it fun to collect these.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 11:18:22 AM by salmonfishing »

PatrickZ

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 08:53:36 AM »
One of my 2 Model 80s has the screw-on cover.  I will have to pull it out and see if it shares any of the other characteristics of your mystery model.

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 01:01:50 PM »
I acquired another Model 80 that is still different from my other two mentioned above. So now I have 3 versions of the Model 80! From left to right in pictures, the first one is the commonly seen version with the silver rasp grooves on the front cover that attaches to frame with the nipple and groove, a black frame and a white handle. The middle one has a black frame but has the screw on front cover with ribbed grooves, more weep holes and smaller front line hole. It also has a black handle. Finally the one on the right is my "mysterious" 80 that started this thread. It also has screw on front cover, black handle but a green frame. So left one is the one I have seen in the catalogs and brochures. The other two don't show up in any documents that I have seen. All three are definitely Model 80  Sidewinders.  I wonder if I can find a 4th version?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 01:02:35 PM by salmonfishing »

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 12:47:02 PM »
Lo and behold, as a follow-up to my last post on this thread, I discovered while going through my reel collection today that in fact I have a fourth Model 80 version! In the attached pics, it is the reel on the left. It has the silver rasp grooves on the front cover but is a screw on version with additional weep holes unlike the front cover on the 80 on the right. So my crude attempt at trying to time the production of these 80 versions based on looking at reels made pre and post to the Model 80 reels as well as looking at brochures, I am guessing the reel with the silver rasp grooves on the front cover that attached to the frame via the nipple and slot was first. Next came the reel with the silver rasp grooves and additional weep holes that screwed onto the main frame. Third was the screw on front cover that had the green ribs rather than the silver rasp grooves. All three had black frames. So I have no idea about the green frame 80 that I started this thread with other than guessing it came at the very end of the 80 production  and may have been in limited manufacture if at all. I also have to say that while I like the looks of all Johnson reels made in the ‘50's, ‘60’s and ‘70's, the most pleasing looking in my mind based on color and style is the early Model 80 reels with the silver rasp grooves. A simple good looking reel that functioned very well at that time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal