Author Topic: Model 110B versions pictures  (Read 1711 times)

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Model 110B versions pictures
« on: January 29, 2017, 10:13:42 AM »
Here are pictures of two versions of the Citation Model 110B reel. First two pictures show the reel with a black frame and the Citation name in block printing which pretty much matches pictures from an early 1970's Johnson Fisherman's Handbook. The exception to the match would be the reel anti-reverse side plate is different on the reel than in the Handbook picture but because of reel condition I think is original to the reel and matches side plates of other 110B reels like this I have. Last two pictures show the reel with a gray frame and the Citation name in cursive which matches the picture from the box that came with the reel. I have no idea which reel was produced first.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 10:20:07 AM by salmonfishing »

Huckster37

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Model 110B versions pictures
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 04:40:24 PM »
Thanks Chuck, that was on my list to look into (it's a long list). One thing about Johnson reels you can find some kind of change in just about every model.

PatrickZ

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 06:43:47 PM »
Nice reels! I believe the cursive script 110B came first as it appearance - excepting the "B" in the name is the same as the 110A.  I am curious if your cursive script B has face gears (like your block letter B or bevel gears like the 110A.  I always assumed the model change was due to the new face gears since otherwise it appears to be identical to the previous 110A.

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 08:06:28 PM »
PatrickZ, great question and thanks for asking. I never thought too much about the gears so your question was educational for me. I will give you an answer that might not help you along with pictures. The cursive 110B does have bevel gears and as you said, the block 110B has face gears. I also have a couple of 110A reels so popped them open. One has bevel gears and one has face gears as you can see in the picture. I also have a 110-A reel which I am guessing came before the 110A model so took a look at it. It has face gears. So not sure what is going on other than like Dennis said earlier, lots of changes and some back and forth. Thanks.
Chuck

PatrickZ

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 08:49:55 PM »
Interesting!  I wonder if the gears could have been swapped out?  The clicker 110-A should have bevel gears as I believe it came out before the cursive script 110A.  I currently have a cursive script 110A and two different block letter 110Bs, which are different in the same manner as the Century's evolved (sculpted white button and handle knob to the later flatter type, along with gearing and frame changes as well).

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 02:49:36 PM »
Just a couple of notes on the reels in the photos.  The reel with the black body looks to be 1962-73 version, with a 1974-79 pushbutton.  Frankenreel!  The 110B with the gray body has a shorter "stem" between the body and the foot.  I found that it doesn't work on some rods with a collar around the rod to lock the reel down.  Not enough room between the body and the foot.

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 03:34:05 PM »
Skip, so you think the 110B reel with the black frame in the top two pictures that looks like the picture of the 110B in the Johnson Fishing Handbook is a Frankenreel? The white button on the reel matches the white button in the handbook picture. I wish I knew what the other side of the one in the handbook looked like.

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 03:51:57 PM »
Skip, do you have  pictures of a '62-'73 version you could post? Thant would great so I can learn a little more about the versions. Thanks.

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 11:27:26 AM »
Skip, sorry to keep asking but I have a question about another reel I have. I have another  block letter 110B which has been used a bit. I compared it to the one I thought looked barely used if not new that you advise is a Frankenreel.  Pictures  are below (the more used one on the right obviously). The only difference I can see is that the handles are different and the retainers holding the springs on the drive shafts are different. Otherwise they are the same regarding frame, front cover, rotor, side plates and buttons. Do you think my more used one is a Frankenreel also or authentic? If authentic, what time period? Thanks.
Chuck

PatrickZ

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 06:14:15 PM »
I will go out on a limb here and opine that the reel on the left may have had the handle changed (rather than the button) if the gearing is the same as the one on the right (zinc or ZAMAK die cast; a magnet will not stick).  My block letter 110B (with black frame and front-facing perforated bell cover) has black-coated steel gears (a magnet definitely sticks even though I believe they labeled these "permalloy") instead of the later zinc gears.  Also it has the metal driveshaft housing that is integral with the frame rather than the later Bs that have the removable plastic/composite bushing so you might want to take the spool off and check the frame.  Finally, it is possible that it is a transition model and the factory was using up their supply of the earlier sculpted handles and may not be depicted in any catalog or ad. This is known to have occurred with other reel manufacturers and certainly with bicycles.

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 09:27:32 PM »
Hi, Chuck, IMO, the reel on the right is likely original.  The flatter pushbutton and the flat, wedge-shaped crank handle correspond to the 1974-79 110B, according to my catalogs of the period.  The 110B with the flatter pushbutton, but the oval-shaped crank knob "scooped" in the center is a mis-match.  Patrick Z may well be correct in that the crank has been replaced.  The "sculpted" crank knob would be contemporary with the more sculpted pushbutton of the 1962-1973 110B.  All three of my 110B's are of the 1960-63 series, but I have Century 100B's of both series, and the external changes in the two models followed the same track, as far as  I know.
A bit earlier, I was looking at what was advertised as a "mint, original"  110B on eBay, with box and papers.  The box and papers were for a Century 100B, The drag pointer, drag dial and pushbutton look like they're from a Century 115, and although the crank handle and nut are Johnson, certainly not 110B.  See, this is the problem you get into with Johnson reels, if you're a collector.  So MANY parts interchanged between models that, without catalogs and schematics, you don't know if you're looking at an "all-original" reel or a Frankenreel.  For a brief period in the early sixties, the sculpted pushbutton and crank knob came in black plastic, further complicating the picture.

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 06:34:40 AM »
Thanks guys for the feedback. Fun stuff. I also saw that mint condition original 110B , which obviously isn't, on Ebay also. I sent him a message telling him the box in the picture certainly wasn't a Citation box. I didn't bother telling him the reel wasn't original. He responded saying he would change the listing. I saw he changed the heading but not the subsequent description below.

Is there any thing here on line that gets onto the details like PatrickZ discusses regarding gear types and changes in driveshaft housing and related timing? That is great stuff and helps us collectors. Maybe guys like you two with you knowledge should start some kind of collaborative posting documenting known changes in models from early to later versions and what to look for Thanks, Chuck!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 08:02:55 AM by salmonfishing »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal