Author Topic: Model 40 pictures  (Read 783 times)

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Model 40 pictures
« on: January 28, 2017, 09:44:37 AM »
I thought I would post pictures of two Model 40 reels I thought were interesting. The first picture is the front of just one reel as the front covers are identical on both. The second picture shows the backside of both reels. The reel on the right with the screw and nut on the handle crank shaft are identical to a Model 40 brochure I have. The nut holds the handle on and the screw has no function other than to just cap the internal shaft the handle crank shaft slides down over. The drag adjustment knob on this reel is also the same size as the knob on a Model 20 reel. The reel on the left in the picture is interesting because although you can't really tell in the picture, the drag adjustment knob is actually slightly smaller than the one on the right. Also it is not the same size as the drag adjustment screw on a Model 10A which was the smallest of all. And instead of the screw and nut like on the right, the handle is held on by a cap nut which is like the one used on the Model 40A. The 40A had no drag function that I am aware of. So while I have no way of knowing for sure, I think  these Model 40 reels may demonstrate that even during production of a specific Model, Johnson continued to tinker with changes. I believe the right reel was an early production Model 40 and the left reel was a later production Model 40. They saved money on the later produced model by making the drag screw smaller and switched to the single cap nut rather than use the separate nut and screw. The third picture shows the insides with the front cover off both of which are identical. These slight differences is what makes collecting early Johnson reels interesting and fun for me
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 06:32:19 PM by salmonfishing »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal