Author Topic: Johnson Chevron 135/35 (added for Skip by Admin)  (Read 1660 times)

AL

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
  • Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
    • View Profile
Johnson Chevron 135/35 (added for Skip by Admin)
« on: January 22, 2017, 04:11:01 PM »
Many of us are aware of the “trade reels” Johnson built for retailers like Montgomery Ward (Hawthorne), Cooks Premier and Ace Hardware.  These reels were based on the Johnson Century 100 and Sabra 130 models, and differed from them only in colors and markings.

In one brief instance, Johnson offered a trade reel unlike any of the others and never shown in factory catalogs.

Behold, the Johnson Chevron 135/35.  These reels were made in Hong Kong, the 135 being the first version, 35 came later.  According to a conversation on another site, they were produced 1979-82 and sold through 12 different stores, from “mom & pop” to J.C. Penney stores.  Price was $4.99

These are about as basic as you can get.  The body, foot and spool are one piece of plastic. There’s a star drag on the crankshaft with two of the smallest drag discs I’ve ever seen.  Anti-reverse is full-time.

The 135 and the 35 differed in two ways.  The 135 front cover has a pebbled, satin finish on it and the spinner head doesn’t have a spring, at least not on the reel at hand

The front cover on the 35 has a flat finish and there’s a coil spring on the pick-up pin.

These reels are an uncommon curiosity, might be okay for going after panfish.

PUBLISHED BY
skipper
I'm 69 y.o., retired 7 years from the wholesale liquor distribution business. My interests include vintage Johnson spin cast fishing reels, Oldsmobiles and Freemasonry.   View all posts by skipper   
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 09:25:25 PM by OCauto »

Huckster37

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Johnson Chevron 135/35
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 05:45:42 PM »
Thanks Skip, I have a model 35 that appears to be in rough condition. I got it at a yard sale in a Walmart bag of old reels. It's way back on my list of reels to service, thanks to your blog it just moved back even further.
Dennis

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Johnson Chevron 135/35 (added for Skip by Admin)
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 06:31:19 PM »
LOL, you're welcome, Dennis!  These reels are kinda sub-standard for Johnson.

Huckster37

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 06:53:47 PM »
You forgot this one Skip.

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 06:04:41 PM »
Ah, yes, the Canadian model!  Didn't even find out about it 'til after I'd posted the blog, Dennis.  Thanks for pointing it out.   ;D

Huckster37

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 07:24:50 PM »
I just found out when I saw it on eBay the other day. I'm getting ready to take it and a 35 apart. On the I'm assuming the push button on the 35 swivels on a pin that I can drive out, right? If I'm right about that, which side should I drive it from? Anything else I should be aware of before I start?

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 08:29:09 PM »
Dennis, I seem to recall the pushbutton pin on your 35 can be driven (very carefully) from either side.  It's a straight shaft, I think.  You'll need a really small, blunt drift pin and a gentle tap to get it started.  May have to start it and finish by pulling with pliers.  The a/r dog is a molded plastic tab on the upper right side of the body.  Careful!  The Chevrons looked pretty primitive to me, no opinion on durability.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal