Author Topic: Johnson Sabra 131  (Read 1312 times)

Huckster37

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Johnson Sabra 131
« on: August 28, 2016, 10:48:34 AM »
I have acquired one of these rare Johnson's. It came with the box, but no papers. This one has the oscillating spool, I've seen pictures of this model without this feature. The schematic I have shows the non-oscillating model and refers you to the 130B schematic if you have the oscillating model.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 10:51:03 AM by Huckster37 »

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Johnson Sabra 131
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 01:47:04 PM »
I finally got around to cleaning the 131 I obtained a while back. Unlike Dennis' 131, this one does not oscillate. And since I had it torn apart, I thought I would go ahead and post parts pics. I had a senior moment though in seeing the line spool give the arrow direction to get the spool off (even though I knew it didn't oscillate). After not budging the spool, I finally got past that senior moment and pulled it off. You can see the spool does not have the brass threaded insert ( I should have noticed that also). Gearing is pretty standard. And it has that dreaded rubber under the drag knob. This is a really heavy reel so I decided to weigh it. According to my electronic scale, it comes in at 13.5 ounces. I am guessing the oscillating version with extra parts comes in just under a pound. A nice reel! Too bad they only for whatever reason made it for the one year.

Huckster37

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 02:06:12 PM »
Thanks Chuck, I have a non-oscillating version now and forgot to post it. Wonder why with only a 1 year run they made two versions.

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 02:31:08 PM »
Dennis, it does make one wonder. Retooling isn't cheap as frequently as they seemed to change models.
Chuck

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 11:14:52 PM »
My opinion only, all of those early Sabra's were XLNT catfish reels, but you had to have a rod holder to use them.  They were SO heavy!  I had a couple, replaced them with Sabra 545's, when I was fishing for cat's.

GaryWB

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
  • Non-Johnson reels are not the ones they look for
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2023, 08:30:26 AM »
Chuck,

Does it look like your 131 could be converted to oscillate?  I see is has the hole for the oscillating yoke piece.

Was just looking and am curious

Gary

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2023, 10:59:54 AM »
Gary, I sold this reel so can't take another look at it. But in looking at the second of my pictures, I am guessing no. On the bottom side of the inside you can see a nipple sticking up. I didn't take a pic of the line spool back side but would guess there is a hole that this fits into. On a 130B, the frame does not have this nipple and line spool screws in. Couldn't do that with a nipple sticking up.

Jp Elim

• Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2023, 11:56:03 AM »
Grind the post off and go for it, Gary. If you have these complicated oscillating parts laying around. Which you probably do. This is a  Strike 435, I just rebuilt but same principle.

GaryWB

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
  • Non-Johnson reels are not the ones they look for
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2023, 01:12:06 PM »
I don't have a 131.  I was just looking at the picture Chuck posted way back and thinking.  Dangerous proposition most of the time, however

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal