Author Topic: Laker II 140C owner document  (Read 731 times)

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Laker II 140C owner document
« on: August 21, 2016, 12:13:10 PM »
Laker II 140C owner documents

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Laker II 140C owner document
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 10:19:03 PM »
Whew!  I FINALLY got my ebay Laker II 140C apart and cleaned!  I've worked on a lot of spincast reels in the last 35 years, but I've NEVER worked on one as seized up by dried out lube as this Laker was.  I soaked the drive train in degreaser for two days and STILL had to drive the pinion gear off of the pinion shaft with a screwdriver and hammer.  Getting the spinner head (rotor) to seat correctly took some tinkering, but it's now preserved and working right.  Drag may need adjusting, but the technique for that is very similar to adjusting drag on a Century.  The brown anodized front cover was dull, but a bit of Meguiar's Mirror Glaze yellow automobile wax slicked it up very nicely.

Skip

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 11:16:30 PM »
Glad it is now functional Skip! It is amazing how dried out grease can almost seem to weld pieces together.

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 07:19:06 PM »
Chuck, I've got ahold of a few seized-up reels, but this one took the blue ribbon!  I misspoke when I said screwdriver above.  I actually used a pair of pliers, very gently closed around the pinion shaft, and hit the pliers with a tack hammer.  Have never had to go to that extreme before, but the reel's ready to go now.  I think the reel still had factory lube in it.  It's immaculate cosmetically.

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 07:32:57 PM »
Skip, I use a similar technique. I grab a boxed end wrench of the correct size and set the shaft down inside with the gear on top of the wrench. The wrench sits atop a vise opened just wide enough for the shaft.I then use a round flat ended punch placed above the spring on the shaft end and strike with the hammer after spraying some WD 40 on the shaft. Sometimes it only takes a couple of blows and other times many. It is frustrating to get one of these frozen nightmares, but I honestly feel great satisfaction when it frees up  knowing I just tamed the beast!! LOL! I like those 140C reels. Many versions and they all look great!!

TIMMY

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 05:20:27 PM »
skip, glad to hear you got that reel freed up. i always heat the heck out of those frozen shafts with a hair dryer and a squirt of penetrating oil. sometimes they let loose on their own if you get it hot enough. i also use a tiny little brass mallet for tapping when needed. my 140c was the hardest one to free up i ever worked on.

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 08:14:43 PM »
Hey, guys, thanks for sharing all of the different techniques for freeing up a seized pinion shaft/gear!  Tim, using a hair dryer to heat the assembly is a great tip!  Never would've thought of that.  I don't usually pursue the Johnson "budget" models, but this 'un was too good to pass up.  Looking forward to putting it to work.

409davidb

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 11:16:26 AM »
So glad to hear you fixed the Laker II Skip! For a so-called budget reel, it was way ahead of it's time! Has Century 100b attributes like the rotor, drag, and handle(different color). Also has features of the Guide reels that include a lite metal frame with plastic rear cover and nice anodized metal cap. Super light and attractive reel!

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 12:12:58 PM »
Agree on all points, David!  From the comments on this thread, the Laker model seems to be particularly prone to seizing the pinion assembly.  Inferior factory lube?

409davidb

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 09:53:35 PM »
I suppose, but it could just be from never getting used. If your not using it, your probably not relubing it like you would if it's in service. Im guilty of that myself with my N.O.S. reels.

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 03:07:13 PM »
I knew I had a couple of reels in the "reserve fleet" that were seized, but I checked all of those reels and found more than I expected.  I ended up cleaning about 95% of the collection and coating internal parts with Vaseline.  If I take one out of reserve to use, I wash the Vaseline off and replace with correct oil and lube.  Ready to go fishin'!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal