Author Topic: Century 100B handle side plate question  (Read 768 times)

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Century 100B handle side plate question
« on: August 16, 2016, 12:05:03 PM »
While cleaning a Century 100B I purchased that was  included in a lot of reels,  I noticed that the handle side plate anti reverse knob is completely different than other 100B reels I have and also have looked it. This one has the "L" and "R" on the dial itself with nothing on the metal plate. While I recognize handles can be switched, it also has what appears to me to be an older simple black handle compared to the white ones I have seen on others. I am wondering if anyone might know if this reel might be an early version of the 100B. I included a picture so you can see what I am asking about. Thanks.

Huckster37

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Century 100B handle side plate question
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 10:38:55 PM »
I just grabbed a couple of mine, one had black push button and grip with the letters on the side plate. The other has white push button and grip with the letters on the dial. I'll look at others later but they made these reels several years so they probably changed up several times. I know the last couple years the Johnson on the other side plate was straight print and the earlier ones were italic. 

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 05:01:12 AM »
Thanks for the pics. It is amazing how many versions there are which kind of makes it interesting collecting. I just got a never used Laker II 140C in the box with papers. It is kind of cool not only for being unused but the way they mounted a Century/Citation similar type drag system on the side. I will post papers today sometime.

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 09:43:11 PM »
Salmonfishing, it looks to me like the sideplate on your Century 100B is from a 100B 40th Anniversary model from the mid-1990's.  I'm looking at one of my 40th's, and it has the R/L on the pointer instead of the plate. 
I've seen a number of purported "original" 100B's on eBay that were what we call "frankenreels".  Made up of parts of original and Anniversary reels.

salmonfishing

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 05:29:04 AM »
Skip, thanks for the info.

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 07:21:55 PM »
Salmonfishing, you're welcome.  Sorry it took me so long to respond.  I've had a couple of major projects going on the last coupla weeks.  To expand on my original, the Johnson Century Anniversary reels were made to the same design as the originals, mostly.  40th Anni'vy reels were made in USA in the early-mid 90's, 45th Ann'y reels were made in China in the early 2000's.  I understand the 45th's used inferior materials, but no direct experience.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal