Author Topic: Taking the Bull by the Horns  (Read 985 times)

AL

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
  • Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
    • View Profile
Taking the Bull by the Horns
« on: May 15, 2016, 07:16:27 PM »
Posted for Skip by Waders

"So, years ago, I bought a Johnson Unispin 7256 combo. This is an “underspin” outfit, basically a spincast reel that mounts under the rod, instead of in a reel seat on top of the rod. This particular model has a line-release pushbutton on top of the rod above the reel, a very unconventional layout. It was made in the mid-1980’s and I bought it used. Well, the pushbutton didn’t work.

Because of the odd layout, I was reluctant to tear into the outfit to locate the problem, so the combo languished for years on the rod rack in the garage. Disagreeable winter weather has had me in hibernation, so for lack of much better to do, I brought it in the house and decided to see if I could figure out what ailed this critter. I opened it up and began studying how the link between the topmount pushbutton and the pinion shaft was supposed to work. After some tinkering, I determined that the pinion gear had seized to the pinion shaft for lack of lubrication. I shot it a good dose of penetrating oil and let it think about that for 5-10 minutes, then tried the mechanism. It worked!

For cryin’ out loud, I let a perfectly good fishing rig sit for years because I didn’t know much about it! Rest assured, within a week, this outfit will be bathed, lubed, lined and ready to fish if spring ever shows up in the Ozarks. Moral of the story: don’t be intimidated by something you haven’t encountered before. “Boldly go where you’ve never gone before. You may surprise yourself”.

Bill

Re: Taking the Bull by the Horns
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 01:23:21 PM »
 I'm proud of you. I have both model 70 and 725 Johnson's and love to Bluegill and Crappie fish with them. I also have several True Temper and Bronson Uni-Spin setups.

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 06:50:53 PM »
Hi, Bill!  Thank you for the compliment.  After I got the reel cleaned, lubed and lined, I field-tested it and took it fishing.  On both the field test and the fishing trip, after about 10 casts, the line tangled under the spinner head.  It seems to be the same effect as with the early Johnson Country Mile spin casters.  Is the large opening in the front cover the problem or am I doing something wrong with my casting technique?

Bill

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 03:26:05 AM »
Skip please make sure you hold the line tight when first starting to reel in or it will twist and tangle like you said. Once you have it caught by the pickup pin, I have found that it works great. Hope this will be of help.

Skip Smith

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 12:54:20 PM »
Ah!  Thanks, Bill, I'll sure 'nuff give that a try, as soon as the weather warms up!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal