Author Topic: The Beginning  (Read 1715 times)

AL

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
  • Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
    • View Profile
The Beginning
« on: January 08, 2016, 01:31:04 PM »
Found and Quoted from many Web Sources

"Johnson got it's start in 1949 when Lloyd Johnson and Henry Warren Denison built their first reel, the Johnson Sidewinder, in a basement in Mankato, Minnesota. Denison-Johnson, Inc., was formed shortly after and a patent for the Sidewinder was granted in July of 1953. From 1949 to 1954, Johnson's sidewinder reel would change 7 times with the main changes taking place in the drag system."
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:33:05 AM by OCauto »

TIMMY

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
    • View Profile
Re: The Beginning
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 06:47:17 AM »
i just wanted to add a little info here. it has always been my understanding, that Lloyd Johnson engineered and created his reel on his own in his basement and that is literally the site of the first johnson reel factory ! henry warren dennison was a family friend who owned a chain of successful sporting good stores. johnson took the reel to him and they entered into an agreement that formed the Dennison- Johnson corporation. johnson invented the reel and dennison was the marketing genius that made them a successful seller. .  my point here is that even if you create a magnificent new product, it won't be successful without quality marketing skills. Dennison died in 1957, but he had already made the johnson reel a success
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 10:14:40 AM by TIMMY »

AL

• Administrator
  • Johnson Fans
  • Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
    • View Profile
Re: The Beginning
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 11:57:36 AM »
Thanks for the clarification Timmy. I was trying to remember what you told me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal